Sunday, February 26, 2012

Tropical Adventures

I have the travel bug. My dad used to tell me stories about his travels throughout the U.S. and how he went to Europe for a while as well before he settled down and started his family and I hung on every word. I've always thought about how I want to travel and where I would go if I had the money and time. I remember when I was a young pre-teen I purchased, 1000 Places to Visit Before You Die by Patricia Schultz. You can check it out on Amazon.com. I read every single page of that book and fell in love.I have always been interested in other cultures, languages and beautiful artifacts, ruins, wildlife and scenery native to other places on this earth. But, even in my own backyard, wherever I am living or visiting at the time, I have found some beautiful hiking trails offering a glimpse of a tranquil waterfall or a beautiful majestic view at the top of a mountain trail. I just enjoy exploring period and taking in new sights and experiences.

 I hope that one day I will be able to realize my dream and travel a whole lot more than I have been able too. I am the kind of person that would love to travel for a job and put the love, romance and babies on hold. (Not that I think you can't have a family or spouse if you want to travel for work but, I am just emphasizing the fact that, at this point in my life, I choose travel over everything else :) I met a lovely lady who played my mother in a play I was cast in last December and she works as a flight attendant for Delta. She recently sent me some information on how to apply and what to expect as a flight attendant. I think I am going to look into this career move soon. Especially since now I know I can still work around my school schedule. I also would love to fly for free and have the opportunity to write about my travel experiences.

But, the main purpose of this blog was to talk about, Tropical Adventures. I vaguely remembered a friend telling me that one of her creative partners was re-locating to Costa Rica so I decided to google, "moving to and visiting Costa Rica", one day out of boredom. I usually look up images of sunsets, waterfalls and mountains etc. in Hawaii when I am in the mood to fantasize that I am on vacation somewhere. But, I was blown away by the photos taken in Costa Rica. SO BEAUTIFUL!



I found a website that profiled expats who made Costa Rica their new home and I came across one about a man who moved to Costa Rica from California after visiting and being charmed by the friendly people that lived there. He started tropical adventures after he re-located. I followed a link to the website and immediately I was in love when I read the headline on the homepage, Tropical Adventures: Self Discovery Through Exploration.

Two of my favorite things in the world, exploring and personal growth! My jaw dropped and I eagerly read up on all the different programs they had.Travelers and volunteers can either stay at the Tropical Adventures center or they can stay with a host family. The point is to help out by volunteering while at the same time giving yourself a chance to really experience this different culture, practice the language and take part in fulfilling exciting work in a beautiful paradise-like setting.
Some of the volunteer, volontour and other tourist opportunities they have are: Osa In-Water Sea Turtle Project, Reptile and Animal Rescue Center, Family Travel, Group Travel, Indigenous Project, Ostional Sea Turtle Project, Day-care and Nutritional Center, Wildlife Rescue Center, Barra Honda National Park, Hojancha Art and Music, University Rep Program and Intern Opportunities.

I love the idea of taking part in a "cultural enrichment" volontour experience in another country-in another EXOTICALLY BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY! :)
I know that it may not be this year, but I am definitely going to make it to Costa Rica so I can participate and take part in this experience. I am so grateful for the internet!

4 comments:

  1. "I am so grateful for the internet" LMAO! One of lifes greatest pleasures :-)

    I'm with you girl, I have the travel bug too. Of course I would love to meet the man of my dreams & get married but in the mean time, I want to travel the world...even after marriage but the kids can definitely wait lol. I love to look up places that arent popular tourist sites because those are usually the most beautiful places :-)

    And if you decide to be a flight attendant, I wish you the best of luck!! That would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know one day we are going to travel somewhere together. I can definitely see that in our future! I will give you an update on my flight attendant application and tell you how it goes! :)
    It's nice to know someone who I can relate too! We will travel a lot I know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a fantastic idea! Have you ever watched "Word Travels"? It's on Owl tv and perhaps the Outdoor network. Check your local listings. Word Travels has two hosts, both travel journalists, who travel the world over writing stories not about the resorts and beaches, the typical tourist stuff, but about the under the radar adventures these different regions have to offer like sand boarding, mud spas in a volcano, bungee jumping from a 66 story building in China, and much more! This is one of my all time favourite television shows. They have a web site too: http://wordtravels.tv. You should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! thank you so much for sharing Shirley! You have no idea how much this just made my day. I am going to check this show out ASAP! :) This sounds like my new favorite show as well.

    ReplyDelete